Imperators
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Total War Clan

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Roll of the Vatican: Please Read

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Konstantine
Konstantine

Male Number of posts : 768
Registration date : 2007-05-01

The Roll of the Vatican: Please Read Empty
PostSubject: The Roll of the Vatican: Please Read   The Roll of the Vatican: Please Read EmptySat May 31, 2008 10:11 pm

There was a debate about the "Role of the Vatican" on Totalwar.com. Here is some of my part in it. Tell me how I did. Very Happy

Quote :
Norwegian Knight wrote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I hated how in MTW2 if you where even close to ambitious about catholic territories you would be ecommunicated, I hope there is papal states, but they should have no control over the few nations that where completely catholic back then(spain and others). After the reformation, most nations where Protestant. Anyway,I'm tired of religious leaders interfering, wouldn't they be sorta happy if they had a warrior strong enough to "unite" all territories and nations that where their religion. Anyway, they should have little or no power over countries.

Quote :
Crusader Konstantine wrote:
Dude, have you read any books at all about history around this time? The Pope in real life DID excommunicate any catholic that went against other catholics (catholic nation vs catholic nation for example) or anyone who was against the teachings of the church. The Papal Estates did not control over the catholic countries. No there were not a "few nations that were completely catholic. Pretty much the whole of western Europe was catholic, from Poland and Hungary areas and on west to Spain and England. Also, no, the Protestant reformations did not cause most of the countries to become Protestant. Do you even know when Martin Luther even lived? He was born about 1545. So, the protestant reformations were around the late 1500s (late 16th century to early 17th). Another thing, the Roman Catholics believe the Pope to be infallable, meaning anything he says goes(basically his decisions and what he says is gods will). The Pope has been known to be political throughout history. Now I say no especially to the part you said that "After the reformation, most nations where Protestant." How long do you think the reformations lasted? Man there are over a billion Roman Catholics alone. Did you know that today we have over 33,000 Protestant denominations in the U.S. Alone? I don't even know how you can even call them protestant anymore, considering the first protestant church was created by Martin Luther, which that equals one protestant church. It is called Protestant because they Protested against the Roman Catholic Church and what was going on in the church at the time.
"wouldn't they be sorta happy if they had a warrior strong enough to "unite" all territories and nations that where their religion"
There is no way that could happen.
Back to top Go down
|-HoS-|-Alexander
|-HoS-|-Alexander

Male Number of posts : 825
Registration date : 2008-01-05

PostSubject: Re: The Roll of the Vatican: Please Read   The Roll of the Vatican: Please Read EmptySat May 31, 2008 10:35 pm

Well, with my knowlegdge of Europe, you are very accurate. The only thing that I can point out at this time (I have been up for more than 24 hours) is that Martin Luther did not create his own church. Martin Luther did not want the church to split, rather he just wanted the "wrongs" of the Catholic church (selling forgiveness, inquisitions, and other things of that nature) to be righted because he studied the Bible and found many mistakes in the Catholic Church's (at that time) teachings. Thats all though, other then that, very well done.

(You even have your dates right) Except one thing, 1500's would be the 16th century, leave the 17th century out of that arguments, at that point there where to many religious battles because of Martin Luther's (what is now called rebellion) success against the Catholic Church, the Pope, and Rome herself. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Konstantine
Konstantine

PostSubject: Re: The Roll of the Vatican: Please Read   The Roll of the Vatican: Please Read EmptySun Jun 01, 2008 8:09 am

Imperator_Alexander wrote:
Well, with my knowlegdge of Europe, you are very accurate. The only thing that I can point out at this time (I have been up for more than 24 hours) is that Martin Luther did not create his own church. Martin Luther did not want the church to split, rather he just wanted the "wrongs" of the Catholic church (selling forgiveness, inquisitions, and other things of that nature) to be righted because he studied the Bible and found many mistakes in the Catholic Church's (at that time) teachings. Thats all though, other then that, very well done.

(You even have your dates right) Except one thing, 1500's would be the 16th century, leave the 17th century out of that arguments, at that point there where to many religious battles because of Martin Luther's (what is now called rebellion) success against the Catholic Church, the Pope, and Rome herself. Very Happy

Yeah I beat you to that mistake!!! Very Happy Twisted Evil Razz
I changed it last night. Also, about the 17th century part, I knew there were after effects because of Martin Luther so I just threw that in.
Back to top Go down
|-HoS-|-Alexander
|-HoS-|-Alexander

Male Number of posts : 825
Registration date : 2008-01-05

PostSubject: Re: The Roll of the Vatican: Please Read   The Roll of the Vatican: Please Read EmptySun Jun 01, 2008 1:57 pm

hahahaha, congrats Konst, congrats.
Back to top Go down
Konstantine
Konstantine

PostSubject: Re: The Roll of the Vatican: Please Read   The Roll of the Vatican: Please Read EmptyMon Jun 02, 2008 6:00 pm

Another correction:
Martin Luther died about 1545, he was not born at that time as I said above. He was born in the 1480's. The reformations were early 16th century.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Roll of the Vatican: Please Read   The Roll of the Vatican: Please Read Empty

Back to top Go down

The Roll of the Vatican: Please Read
Page 1 of 1