Imperators
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Total War Clan

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

My favorite generals and author

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Imperator_Josephus
Imperator_Josephus

Number of posts : 730
Registration date : 2008-02-02

My favorite generals and author Empty
PostSubject: My favorite generals and author   My favorite generals and author EmptyFri Mar 21, 2008 2:45 pm

Have you guys heard of Liddell Hart? He was the British military theorist whose book(s) on the indirect approach was put into practice by Guderian in WWII. Guderian, in case you don't know. was the father of blitzkrieg tactics. In any case, Liddell Hart holds Belisarius in very high esteem. However, I would like to mention a name that usually never appears on a list of the greatest generals, Scipio Africanus. Hart wrote a very interesting book about him. Hart wrote another book (title escapes me) about the greatest generals in history. If my memory serves correctly, he concluded the two greatest generals were Napolean and Ceasar. He though Napolean a better general than Ceasar because Ceasar was too impulsive at times. Napolean's problem was that he abandoned the indirect approach when he commanded armies with vast numbers, thinking the sledgehammer approach would work better. Hart also mentioned Hannibal, Ganghis Khan (also a master of the indirect approach), Lee, Grant, Sherman, Guderian, and Patton.

Another book, which I read many years ago, was titled From the Jaws of Victory: Causes and Consequences of Military Stupidity. The book covers generals like Crassus.

Last edited by -Crusader-Josephus on Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
|-HoS-|-Alexander
|-HoS-|-Alexander

Male Number of posts : 825
Registration date : 2008-01-05

PostSubject: Re: My favorite generals and author   My favorite generals and author EmptyFri Mar 21, 2008 2:54 pm

This is true, Scipio Africanus never does appear in any of "The Greatest Generals" that go around. But then again, his conquest was mainly in Africa dealing with Carthage, while his fellow Roman Caesar was in Gaul, Middle East, Egypt, and Rome itself, I think that is why Caesar comes before Scipio. Scipio was a good general none-the-less though, he does have my respect, those elesphants are nasty. lol!
Back to top Go down
Imperator_Josephus
Imperator_Josephus

Number of posts : 730
Registration date : 2008-02-02

PostSubject: Re: My favorite generals and author   My favorite generals and author EmptySun Mar 23, 2008 12:01 pm

Hart believed the Huns, Mongols, and Sherman's army were forerunners to the German panzers. The secret to their success was movement and threatening several objectives at once. This caused the defenders to guess as to were their enemy was heading. This forced the defenders to try to defend several places at once. Also, the above mentioned armies would move around any strong points of resistence, which would become isolated and taken at a later time.

My favorite generals and author 09-1
Back to top Go down
Imperator_Pehlvan-e-Sindh
Imperator_Pehlvan-e-Sindh

Male Number of posts : 102
Registration date : 2008-03-15

PostSubject: Re: My favorite generals and author   My favorite generals and author EmptyWed May 07, 2008 8:41 pm

I didnt want such a good thread to be neglected so here it is.

My favorite general is definitely Hannibal Barca. There are not many generals (if any at all) who have led mixed armies of mercenaries, barbarians, levies and professionals from a multitude of nations and divided by languages and completely different cultures against an enemy as disciplined as Rome and win time and time again. Three cheers for Hannibal! cheers cheers cheers

Also his tactics and troop movements have been studied for centuries and his general principles still prove as solid today as they were during the Punic wars. Even though he ultimately lost, he showed us that his charisma and incredible leadership capabilities were great enough to march elephants across the alps and make Romans wet their pants lol!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My favorite generals and author   My favorite generals and author Empty

Back to top Go down

My favorite generals and author
Page 1 of 1