Imperators
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Total War Clan

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Tactics after Ikko-Ikki DLC

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Imperator_Eve6
Praetorian
Imperator_Eve6

Male Number of posts : 726
Registration date : 2008-06-18

Tactics after Ikko-Ikki DLC Empty
PostSubject: Tactics after Ikko-Ikki DLC   Tactics after Ikko-Ikki DLC EmptyWed Jun 01, 2011 10:58 pm

Just a small discussion on the evolution of tactics in my armies since the release of the dlc.

To start, the prior armies/builds i was using.

Rank 7-8- i was using an all vet build that was balanced although small, and i would try to maximize my ranged output. (nothing really special about it, just a use em as i have them build)

Rank 9- I started to play more 2v2's with Rom, completely abandoning 1v1's. (this can have an effect on the build design and application, so your forewarned). We played a 2v2 with former #1 Mr. Miyagi and 7Sam shinto. Miyagi used an non vet army with 5-6 bow ashigaru, 4 matchlock ashigaru 4 yari cav and a ton of yari ashigaru. they beat us, though we made it closer than it really felt. Taking that build into consideration i began to make a non-vet army with my own modifications.

Infantry- 6 (thats right 6) naginata samurai. The reason is simple. I only want to keep the enemy infantry in place for my archers and matchlocks. There is no more versetile infantry to me than naginata samurai. (i would switch out 2 for katana samurai on certain maps where the infantry was more important, i.e. sakura ridge/river town)

Cav- 2 yari cav, 2 katana cav- mostly to try out the katana who had recieved a price reduction, also because 2 yari cav can hold off 2 great guard long enough for help to arrive, and when 2v2'ing with Rom he likes to bring godlike cav so i worry less about it.

Guns 2-4 matchlock monk/ashigaru- This region gets changed alot in the build, depending on map layout (rice fields vs waterfall for instance) and previous battles. The general idea is to get a volley or 2 off into their infantry and pull back the matchlock monks, the ashigaru also act as good cav meat shields if you need them Twisted Evil then take the monks and use him again the general or flank to get side shots.

Archers- 2-6 bow monks/ashigaru. same rule applies as the guns, i change them out depending on map and previous battles. Their there to negate the opponet's own bows if their high vet, or force the opponet to come to me and get shots in on monks/matchlocks.

General- My general is a bow spec one. He has one purpose and one alone. KILL THE OTHER GENERAL. with armour piercing arrows, he can take out 4-5 bodyguards in one volley, more if he gets some good shots in. once hte other gen is dead, matchlock morale penalty can usually finish the deal.

Retainers- Trade Post was a must, as was inspiring orator if you want some cash for low vets. i liked to bring fugu cook as well as cold snap to help my melee and archers out abit.

Synopsis- A sir-spams-alot build, bent on ruining your strength by employing overwhelming numbers to counter everything. (this has been a very effective build for me and rom in our 2v2's)

AFTER IKKO IKKI DLC. On next post.
Imperator_Eve6

PostSubject: Re: Tactics after Ikko-Ikki DLC   Tactics after Ikko-Ikki DLC EmptyWed Jun 01, 2011 11:18 pm

AFTER IKKO IKKI

Idea- Find a proper use to utilize the awesome that is Rennyo's Teaching. Because the Retainers are the focus of this build, ill name them first and list out the total bonuses. Also worth note is that i am Rank 10 now and get 5 retainers

Retainers

Rennyo's Teaching- I can't begin to describe how much this helps everything. -2 to melee attack for a +4 to melee defense. +2 to morale for everything is just to good to pass up. (i have loan swords with an 8 for morale just from upgrades and bonuses because of that)
The only drawback is your reload skill takes a big hit, and if they play cold snap its a -20 to reload skill for bows. (non vet matchlock ashigaru only fire one volley with this, so youve been forwarned)

Portable Shrine- +2 to melee attack for all monks is a good deal, and gets rid of the negative from rennyo's teaching on some of my cav and infantry.

Fugu Cook- Fairly simple to bring, gives a -2 to my opponet so my infantry arn't too underpowered offensively. (I also will trade this out with cold snap if i think my archers need help, the ideas the same though)

Practice Grounds- +2 for all cav (except bow cav, this also counts for your gen i think) melee attack gets rid of the minus i have on my cav, and on my monk cav actually means they have a bonus to melee attack.

Trade Post- probably the best retainer ever as far as utility goes, will save you 700 i think from the 14k you usually fight. Thats the difference from a vet 7 yari cav and a non vet one, worth it in my opinion.

Total Bonus's and Negatives

Monk's- 0 to melee attack (unless monk cav, which is +2), +2 to morale, +4 to melee defense, -10 to reload speed (monk archers)
Samurai/Ashigaru- -2 to melee attack, +2 to morale, +4 to melee defense, -10 to reload speed (sam/bow archers)
Cav- 0 to melee attack, (unless monk cav, which is +2), +2 to morale, +4 to melee defense, -10 to reload speed, (bow cav)
Other- -2 to melee attack, +2 to morale, +4 to melee defense, -10 to reload speed (Fire bomb throwers, ninja, maybe siege?)

Troops

Infantry- 2 Monk Warrios, 2 Naginata Samurai, 3 Loan Swords (this number changes depending on vets/map). The idea here is to swarm and at the same time be versatile and still at the same time be able to beat most infantry forces. (won't beat an all vet one though.) The +2 to morale is a great bonus to the loan swords, who have a fairly high melee attack but aweful melee defense any way. The monk warriors can debuff the opponets melee attack, and don't suffer any penalties, while the naginata sam are an absorber for charges and arrows.

Cav- 2 low vet or non vet monk cav, 1 high vet yari cav, 1 non vet yari cav- Probably the most notable benificiary of this build, these cav now have monk morale and will stick through a fight till their down to 10 or so men. The new monk cav are good infantry killers, and can fairly well ruin a yari cav if they don't recieve the charge. The high vet yari cav can last a very long time, (mine have around 12 melee attack, and 10!!! melee defense with the bonuses) and they will devestated low vet/non vet yari cav and really weaken great guard.

Finish Tommorow on Next post

Last edited by Imperator_Eve6 on Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Imperator_Eve6
Praetorian
Imperator_Eve6

PostSubject: Re: Tactics after Ikko-Ikki DLC   Tactics after Ikko-Ikki DLC EmptyWed Jun 01, 2011 11:19 pm

Reserved
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tactics after Ikko-Ikki DLC   Tactics after Ikko-Ikki DLC Empty

Back to top Go down

Tactics after Ikko-Ikki DLC
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Imperators :: Shogun 2 Total War :: Shogun 2 War Room-
Jump to: