Imperators
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Total War Clan

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

...i have some tactical questions

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Imperator_CohortXIII
Praetorian
Imperator_CohortXIII

Male Number of posts : 246
Registration date : 2009-11-18

...i have some tactical questions Empty
PostSubject: ...i have some tactical questions   ...i have some tactical questions EmptyTue Dec 29, 2009 5:03 am

...when attacking with cav, should i let them do a normal lance charge and then alt-attack after engaged or should i just alt-attack on the initial charge? wouldn't the latter eliminate the charge-shock? or...would an 'alt-charge' include the lances, and then an automatic assault of secondaries (maces,swords,etc.)

...when using pikes, is it better to 'march' the individual pike units to and through an enemy, or to attack? i saw a guy on you-tube (not PoM, lol) micro (quite skillfully) by just marching his phalanx units through each target enemy unit.
Back to top Go down
Imperator_Boru
Consul
Imperator_Boru

Male Number of posts : 3305
Registration date : 2006-10-22

PostSubject: Re: ...i have some tactical questions   ...i have some tactical questions EmptyTue Dec 29, 2009 10:27 am

as far as the cav charges I use alt attack right away, they will use there spear 1st anyways then draw the secondary weapon.

When stationary pikes are guard mode are more effective but if you want to bring the fight to them many players turn guard mode off and march towards there enemy. The only downside to this is if the pikes get too far into the enemy they tend to draw there secondary weapons on occasion and when they do that they are not so effective. I know on medieval total war 2 I always place them "off guard mode" for attacking. I would go ahead and run some unit test with another imperator and have them get 2 units and you get 2 units and try both methods on the exact same unit/stance.
Back to top Go down
Imperator_CohortXIII
Praetorian
Imperator_CohortXIII

PostSubject: Re: ...i have some tactical questions   ...i have some tactical questions EmptyTue Dec 29, 2009 5:40 pm

**salutes* thanx, consul. that alt-attack thing was drivin me nuts. Smile I have been taking pikes off guard mode only because after a unit defeats an an enemy unit they seem to not attack other engaged units even if said enemy is right on top of them. But, u are absolutely right, and a lone pike unit far from formation is a tasty target Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
|-HoS-|-Alexander
|-HoS-|-Alexander

Male Number of posts : 825
Registration date : 2008-01-05

PostSubject: Re: ...i have some tactical questions   ...i have some tactical questions EmptyTue Dec 29, 2009 7:49 pm

Everything Boru said is correct. Alt attack on the initial charge because they will use the lance first anyway and receive the charge bonus, and then pull their secondary weapon and use it. (Most secondary weapons have the AP stat *armor piercing* and will cut enemy defense in half).

As for pikes, what Boru said is also correct. however, I will also add that the pike length makes a HUGE difference. I cant exactly what it is but I'll look for it and when I find it I will tell you what to do. (Short pikes vs long pikes vs other infantry.)
Back to top Go down
Imperator_CohortXIII
Praetorian
Imperator_CohortXIII

PostSubject: Re: ...i have some tactical questions   ...i have some tactical questions EmptyWed Dec 30, 2009 4:23 am

...thnx Wolf Smile u da man bro Smile
Back to top Go down
Imperator_Macedonian
Diplomat
Imperator_Macedonian

Male Number of posts : 263
Registration date : 2008-05-17

PostSubject: Re: ...i have some tactical questions   ...i have some tactical questions EmptySun Feb 21, 2010 10:17 am

Haha, the famous Macedonian sarissa never dissapoints...

Mace
Back to top Go down
|-HoS-|-Alexander
|-HoS-|-Alexander

PostSubject: Re: ...i have some tactical questions   ...i have some tactical questions EmptyMon Feb 22, 2010 12:50 am

From what I remember if you have shorter pikes it is better to attack. If you have the larger pikes it is better to not move. Also, take longer pikes off of guard mode.
Back to top Go down
Imperator_CohortXIII
Praetorian
Imperator_CohortXIII

PostSubject: Re: ...i have some tactical questions   ...i have some tactical questions EmptyFri Jul 09, 2010 2:59 am

..hey guys, i jus had a dispute over some cwb rules and i was wonderin if anyone could give me a definitive answer?i was always under the impression that "HA" , horse archers are all missile cav units; e.g. jav cav, chariot archers, cataphract archers etc. . am i wrong? is it only cavalry that use bows and arrows?
Back to top Go down
Imperator_Boru
Consul
Imperator_Boru

PostSubject: Re: ...i have some tactical questions   ...i have some tactical questions EmptyFri Jul 09, 2010 9:02 am

Ive seen this argument before and have always felt it should apply to all ranged units, but I think javalins are not included in those old rules. I think they have remade cwb/ clan war belt forums few times but here is a link for Q/A http://www.clanwarbelt.com/
Back to top Go down
Imperator_Romulus
Consul
Imperator_Romulus

Male Number of posts : 2273
Registration date : 2007-02-26

PostSubject: Re: ...i have some tactical questions   ...i have some tactical questions EmptyFri Jul 09, 2010 7:40 pm

Yeah HA in cwb are only the horse archers. The jav throwers dont count. Just as peltasts and headhurlers arnt archers. Also HA dont count toward the archer limit, only the cav limit.

Sorry I missed you the other night cohort, my xfire was being wierd.
Back to top Go down
Imperator_CohortXIII
Praetorian
Imperator_CohortXIII

PostSubject: Re: ...i have some tactical questions   ...i have some tactical questions EmptyThu Dec 30, 2010 11:06 pm

..Wow consul, i cant believe i just saw this! you just shook my very "CWBeing" to the ground. Thank you sooo much. i knew about the headhurlers but thats it! Man i feel like i got vertigo or sumthn LOLOL. damn, i guess i been gettn lucky follown the rules. also, could you explain the exact TWPL rules for me. thanks brother Smile
Back to top Go down
|-HoS-|-Alexander
|-HoS-|-Alexander

PostSubject: Re: ...i have some tactical questions   ...i have some tactical questions EmptySun Jan 02, 2011 1:01 am

hehe twpl is:

Max 6 cav
Max 6 Archers
Max 2 Horse Archers (count as both Cav and Archers cheers )
Max 2 Berserkers
No Art
No Eles

Also, Jav cav, Peltast, and Head Hurlers do not count as archers
Back to top Go down
Imperator_Romulus
Consul
Imperator_Romulus

Male Number of posts : 2273
Registration date : 2007-02-26

PostSubject: Re: ...i have some tactical questions   ...i have some tactical questions EmptySun Jan 02, 2011 1:22 am

What Alex said. Wink

I like twpl over cwb.
Back to top Go down
Imperator_Boru
Consul
Imperator_Boru

PostSubject: Re: ...i have some tactical questions   ...i have some tactical questions EmptySun Jan 02, 2011 12:30 pm

Thought it also included max 6 same ? 66622NN But I could totaly be wrong Very Happy I like twpl also.
Back to top Go down
Imperator_CohortXIII
Praetorian
Imperator_CohortXIII

PostSubject: Re: ...i have some tactical questions   ...i have some tactical questions EmptyMon Jan 03, 2011 12:54 am

..that was gona be my question. i thought max 6 same too.
Back to top Go down
|-HoS-|-Alexander
|-HoS-|-Alexander

PostSubject: Re: ...i have some tactical questions   ...i have some tactical questions EmptySun Jan 09, 2011 1:20 pm

Ah yes, silly me, it is max 6 same. That is just kind of stuck in my mind that I dont even think about it.
Back to top Go down
Imperator_CohortXIII
Praetorian
Imperator_CohortXIII

PostSubject: Re: ...i have some tactical questions   ...i have some tactical questions EmptyMon Dec 31, 2012 4:29 am

ok I have another question. what exactly is steam? is it like xfire? is it better? should I get it? also. any of you guys pla world of tanks? look me up iif so. name:cohort13...lol,go figure huh
Back to top Go down
Imperator_Boru
Consul
Imperator_Boru

PostSubject: Re: ...i have some tactical questions   ...i have some tactical questions EmptyTue Jan 01, 2013 3:45 pm

Yes you should get steam ! Steam is awesome. It can do anything xfire can and more. When you instal games with steam they stay with steam. So when I got new pc I i could log into steam and download all my games with steam, I didnt need the disk to instal after steam had them.

Download here- http://store.steampowered.com/about/
Check it out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steam_(software)

add me, steam name nachtjagd
Back to top Go down
cohort

PostSubject: Re: ...i have some tactical questions   ...i have some tactical questions EmptyThu Jan 03, 2013 12:52 am

...ok, problem. when I try to use my cd key to register rome, it sez invalid. I looked aroun online and got no definitive answers. Its not a huge deal, just that I want ed to download alexander from steam and they say I don't own the necessary (rome) game needed. does anybody know this code?
Back to top Go down
Imperator_CohortXIII
Praetorian
Imperator_CohortXIII

PostSubject: Re: ...i have some tactical questions   ...i have some tactical questions EmptyThu Jan 03, 2013 12:54 am

LOL oops. that was me. thought I was logged in XD
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ...i have some tactical questions   ...i have some tactical questions Empty

Back to top Go down

...i have some tactical questions
Page 1 of 1