Imperators
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Total War Clan

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Imperator

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Imperator_Boru
Consul
Imperator_Boru

Male Number of posts : 3305
Registration date : 2006-10-22

Imperator Empty
PostSubject: Imperator   Imperator EmptyTue Dec 30, 2008 7:44 pm

I was on vent the other day and I noticed everyone was saying Imperator differently and all of a sudden I didnt know how to say it drunken lol! I went to answers.com and they even have a little sound button so they can pronounce it for you.

http://www.answers.com/topic/imperator

Last edited by Imperator_Boru on Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Imperator_sparta
Senate
Imperator_sparta

Male Number of posts : 553
Registration date : 2007-03-15

Imperator Empty
PostSubject: Re: Imperator   Imperator EmptyTue Dec 30, 2008 8:26 pm

imper autor

Unique. In Rtw they say it the way we say it.
Back to top Go down
|-HoS-|-Alexander
|-HoS-|-Alexander

Male Number of posts : 825
Registration date : 2008-01-05

Imperator Empty
PostSubject: Re: Imperator   Imperator EmptySat Jan 17, 2009 12:53 am

I say it the way the original language says it. (The same way all of you say it.)
Back to top Go down
Imperator_Boru
Consul
Imperator_Boru

Male Number of posts : 3305
Registration date : 2006-10-22

Imperator Empty
PostSubject: Re: Imperator   Imperator EmptyThu Jan 22, 2009 12:21 am

Iberians used it 1st, entresting study

The Iberians [...] came in to submit to the Romans, and on meeting Scipio saluted him as king. Edeco was the first who had done this and made obeisance to him, and he had been followed by Andobales. On that occasion Scipio had paid no great attention and did not particularly notice the appellation, but when [...] all addressed him as king, the matter gave him pause. He therefore assembled the Iberians and told them that he wished to be called kingly by them and actually to be kingly, but that he did not wish to be king or to be called so by any one. After saying this he ordered them to call him imperator.

[Polybius, World History, 10.40.2-5;
tr. H.J. Edwards]
This story is quite interesting because it shows that the initiative to give Scipio a special title was taken by Iberian tribal leaders. The title that was to become so dear to the Romans was not a Roman invention
Back to top Go down
Imperator_Romulus
Consul
Imperator_Romulus

Male Number of posts : 2273
Registration date : 2007-02-26

Imperator Empty
PostSubject: Re: Imperator   Imperator EmptySun Jan 25, 2009 11:32 am

Imperator_Boru wrote:

The Iberians [...] came in to submit to the Romans, and on meeting Scipio saluted him as king. Edeco was the first who had done this and made obeisance to him, and he had been followed by Andobales. On that occasion Scipio had paid no great attention and did not particularly notice the appellation, but when [...] all addressed him as king, the matter gave him pause. He therefore assembled the Iberians and told them that he wished to be called kingly by them and actually to be kingly, but that he did not wish to be king or to be called so by any one. After saying this he ordered them to call him imperator.

[Polybius, World History, 10.40.2-5;
tr. H.J. Edwards]

My interpratation of this paragraph is that the Iberians refered to him as King and he said "No, do not call me king, for although I have the power of a king, we no longer honour or use that title. I am to be called Imperator". A title which, having just conqured most of southern and western Spain, he most certainly would have been given.
It was Scipio who gave the order, not the tribes. I belive Imperator as a title was used well before the second punic war. I think it was actually first taken by the kings of Rome... scratch
Back to top Go down
Imperator_Enslaved
Legionarie
Imperator_Enslaved

Male Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2009-02-16

Imperator Empty
PostSubject: Re: Imperator   Imperator EmptySun Feb 22, 2009 6:23 am

So much knowlege Arrow
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Imperator Empty