Imperators
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Total War Clan

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Units: What Beats What?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Konstantine
Konstantine

Male Number of posts : 768
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Units: What Beats What? Empty
PostSubject: Units: What Beats What?   Units: What Beats What? EmptySun Nov 23, 2008 6:28 pm

Ok so I am going to do this huge project on: What units beat what units? I will research almost every unit vs every other unit. It will be ranged vs. ranged, cavalry vs. cavalry, and infantry vs infantry. I will do each units with and without upgrades. I will start off with Venice. I am first going to do this in word. I am not going to do every single unit but I will do what I myself would use in a battle. Another thing, since there are plenty of factions with the exact same units like the Pavise Crossbowmen, I will not test every one from each faction.
Back to top Go down
Imperator_Josephus
Imperator_Josephus

Number of posts : 730
Registration date : 2008-02-02

PostSubject: Re: Units: What Beats What?   Units: What Beats What? EmptyMon Nov 24, 2008 12:07 pm

When testing units, remember that you cannot test accurately against the computer. The most accurate tests are against another player. We (Railen and myself) tested alot of units for MTW2. Testing units is somewhat worthless no one seems to care about exploiting the walk through bug. Units that should win head to head lose if your opponent uses the bug.
Back to top Go down
Imperator_Eve6
Praetorian
Imperator_Eve6

Male Number of posts : 726
Registration date : 2008-06-18

PostSubject: Re: Units: What Beats What?   Units: What Beats What? EmptyMon Nov 24, 2008 5:26 pm

cav then is useless, however inf and archers are still worth taking a look in. i would say go by guide lines konst, such as 2 handers vs 1 handers and such. pav crosses or peasent crosses, that sort of stuff.
Back to top Go down
Konstantine
Konstantine

PostSubject: Re: Units: What Beats What?   Units: What Beats What? EmptyMon Nov 24, 2008 8:42 pm

Imperator_Josephus wrote:
When testing units, remember that you cannot test accurately against the computer. The most accurate tests are against another player. We (Railen and myself) tested alot of units for MTW2. Testing units is somewhat worthless no one seems to care about exploiting the walk through bug. Units that should win head to head lose if your opponent uses the bug.

Yeah I have been testing online. I tested Stradiots vs Knights of Santiago with Almasy.
Back to top Go down
Konstantine
Konstantine

PostSubject: Re: Units: What Beats What?   Units: What Beats What? EmptyMon Nov 24, 2008 8:44 pm

Yeah I guess I can forget cavalry, but I will list the best cavalry units, and their upgrades that I use.
Back to top Go down
Imperator_Boru
Consul
Imperator_Boru

Male Number of posts : 3305
Registration date : 2006-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Units: What Beats What?   Units: What Beats What? EmptyMon Nov 24, 2008 8:56 pm

dont forget cavalry, they are perhaps the most important ones to test. You win the cav battle and most likely you win the entire battle. Its good to go into a melee knowing you can or cant win. Walkthrough or no walkthrough some units can not beat other units.
Back to top Go down
Konstantine
Konstantine

PostSubject: Re: Units: What Beats What?   Units: What Beats What? EmptyTue Nov 25, 2008 12:25 am

Imperator_Boru wrote:
dont forget cavalry, they are perhaps the most important ones to test. You win the cav battle and most likely you win the entire battle. Its good to go into a melee knowing you can or cant win. Walkthrough or no walkthrough some units can not beat other units.

Well that is what I have been doing. No walkthroughs. That means a walkthrough is easier with a cav unit better than another lol.
Back to top Go down
Imperator_Eve6
Praetorian
Imperator_Eve6

Male Number of posts : 726
Registration date : 2008-06-18

PostSubject: Re: Units: What Beats What?   Units: What Beats What? EmptyTue Nov 25, 2008 8:52 am

also, try out a ha vs ha, that ones important for the early game. its pretty easy, just compare dvor, turkomans, and mounted crossbows and your done. if you want to add jav cav you could though.
Back to top Go down
Konstantine
Konstantine

PostSubject: Re: Units: What Beats What?   Units: What Beats What? EmptyTue Nov 25, 2008 11:25 am

lol don't worry, I know what I'm doing. Smile
Back to top Go down
Imperator_Josephus
Imperator_Josephus

Number of posts : 730
Registration date : 2008-02-02

PostSubject: Re: Units: What Beats What?   Units: What Beats What? EmptyTue Nov 25, 2008 11:50 am

This is the problem with the walk through bug: someone who is very good at it (Kobe or Ocean for example) can walk through your entire army in less than a minute. This renders all tests useless. With that said, few people have that kind of skill with the walk through bug. I would guess that 80 - 90 % of players don't even know it exists. Thats why I win most of my MTW2 games without using the bug.

A few general things in unit vs unit results that we discovered; upgrades beat non upgrades, ap usually beats non ap units because they are genarally cheaper so you can overwhelm your enemy. Another thing, which you probably know, its essential to have a wall of spears in front of your dismounted knights/swordsmen because a heavy cav charge into their midst is devastating.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Units: What Beats What?   Units: What Beats What? Empty

Back to top Go down

Units: What Beats What?
Page 1 of 1